Melbourne University Sport (MU Sport) is a semi-autonomous department of the University, reporting to the Vice Principle (Engagement) and the Melbourne University Sport Board, and provides high-level policy, business and financial advice to the University on the development and management of sport and recreation at the University.
Sport has a special significance for the University through the performance of sporting clubs, teams and high profile athletes that enhance the reputation of the University. The vision for sport is that the University of Melbourne is the leading Australian university in sporting performance, participation and quality of facilities.
MU Sport provides professional management of the fitness, sports and recreation facilities, programmes and activities of the University and works closely with all stakeholders and external strategic partners in delivering sport and physical recreation opportunities for the University community in accordance with strategic and operational plans.
MU Sport is responsible for:
- The Sport Capital Improvement Plan for the development of campus and off campus facilities and manages all University sporting facilities in particular the University Recreation Reserve, the Ski Lodge at Mt Buller and the Boat House on the Yarra River.
- Provision of fitness and recreation services and programmes including fitness assessments, personal training, group fitness, physiotherapy and sports massage, support for instructional and recreational club activity, short courses and trips and tours.
- Provision of sporting opportunities including supporting teams and individual students to compete in regional, national and international student competitions including the Australian University Games, the strategic development and operations of the competitive sporting clubs, professional management and promotion of lunch time and college sport competitions and support for elite level student athletes with the High Performance Sport Program and the provision of sporting scholarships.
- Ensuring the marketing and branding of sport to support student recruitment activity and support the engagement of the alumni with University sport programmes and advancement activity.
- Representing the University on matters pertaining to sport and physical recreation to local, state and federal government, Australian University Sport (AUS), sporting bodies and related professional organisations.
View the MU Sport Strategic Plan